The Nationally recognized Woodside One Wheelers (WOW) are a juggling & unicycling performing arts group based out of Woodside Elementary School located in Topsham Maine, co-founded and directed by Eric Pulsifer. WOW was officially established in 2006 and held their first show with 25 students performing juggling and stilt walking acts and 3 students performing on unicycles. The program has now grown to over 80 performers (ranging from ages 8-20) often beginning in our summer camps and then officially becoming a member in grade 3 and continuing into college- consisting of 55 short style unicycle riders including 32 performance riders on five foot giraffe unicycles and a few highly skilled riders on two & three wheel unicycles rising over seven feet.
With over 145 successful performances, the Woodside One Wheelers have performed at the National level, thanks in part to the generosity of corporate & personal donors along with local fundraising by each member and their families including our caring coaches who donate their time:
- 2010 National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade,
- 2012 Independence Day Parade in Washington, DC
- 2013 West Virginia Strawberry Festival Parade
- 2013 Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade
- 2013 NBA Philadelphia 76ers half time performance
- 2015 National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade
- 2015 NBA Philadelphia 76ers half time performance
- 2017 July 4th Celebration of Freedom and The United States of America’s Independence Day Parade in Philadelphia, PA
- 2017 Philadelphia Freedom Valley YMCA Performance
- 2018 Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade
- 2018 Philadelphia Freedom Valley YMCA Performance
The Woodside One Wheelers also maintains a very active local performance schedule including exciting shows with the:
- Maine Red Claws Halftime Show
- Portland Sea Dogs Pre-Game Show & Ceremonial 1st Pitch
- Mt. Ararat High School Boys Varsity Basketball Halftime Show
- Maine State Music Theater Performance
- Brunswick Art Walk Performance
- Standish Summer Spectacular Parade
- Longfellow Chorus Performance
- Richmond Days Street Performance
- Bowdoinham Days Performance
- Damariscotta Pumpkin Fest Parade
WOW are a familiar sight at local area parades including the:
- Brunswick/Topsham Memorial Day Parade
- Freeport Holiday Sparkle Parade
- Moxie Festival Parade- held in Lisbon Falls
The team has traveled to other elementary schools in Maine and has participated with many local fundraisers, ceremonies, and community events including the popular Annual Community Performance held in March at the Mt. Ararat High School Gymnasium with hundreds attending.
In addition to promoting safety, personal fitness and fun, WOW consistently represents a positive message surrounding goal setting, hard work, and self confidence. During weekly practices throughout the school year, members work diligently on learning and refining new skills, improving their routines, and trying out some new challenges. Learning to spin plates, juggle scarves, rings, balls and clubs. They move on to technical riding of a unicycle, and mastering specific skills such as walking on stilts, and balancing on walking globes, are all great challenges which improve physical skills such as balance and coordination and teach many life long lessons in patience, concentration, self motivation, and perseverance. WOW performers are encouraged to carry these skills over into their academic endeavors as well.
The Woodside One Wheelers focus is on teamwork, cooperation, and building leadership skills. There is a strong sense of unity and trust among the performers who encourage and inspire each other on a daily basis. It is that trust built through the friendships that the riders forge as they work together in unicycle performance routines that embraces our safety standards with each member. We require that each rider wear an approved helmet along with wrist, elbow and knee pads during practices and performances. Participation in local and national performances teaches poise, problem solving skills, communication and self-confidence.
Being a part of WOW is an exciting, motivating and rewarding experience!