Directly AFTER a Parade or Performance- ReUniting with your child can be challenging- especially when police will not allow you down the streets around us! Here are some helpful hints of things we’ve learned over the years which will help ReUnite you with your child AFTER a Parade or Event:
BEFORE parade day, check out our online member calendar from our WoodsideOneWheelers.org website- there is often important info that will give you a better idea of where we will end the parade- sometimes linking a map of the area! Look for an alternate way you can meet up with us. If the parade is still going on, you won’t be able to take the most direct route!
IF we need to CANCEL a parade or event (Eric makes that final decision), usually due to weather (we will not ride outside if it rains) and usually within 2 hours of the scheduled parade/event- A CANCELLED notice will appear on our online calendar for the event and an official WOW eMail sent to the eMail address you used to register and posted to our WOW Facebook page.
● Talk about it w/your child so they know what’s happening with you and where you will be after the event ends.
● WRITE your cell phone number in their helmet using a waterproof sharpie pen (preferably UNDER a PAD)- and show them where it is! Sounds simple but it can REALLY save time!! Also, in an emergency, we can easily access you by phone!!!
● WRITE the WOW members name (using a waterproof sharpie pen) ON BACK (small) and IN the helmet- white helmets look the same and can easily get lost or picked up by another member accidentally.
● If the WOW member does not have a cell phone, consider giving them a 2-way radio set to the same frequency. When finished, they can contact you and explain where we are. Most radios have a 2 mile radius which is our typical parade route distance.
ON parade day:
- review the current weather- don’t forget the SUNCREEN & WATER!
- CHECK YOUR UNICYCLE- tire pressure (40 lbs), pedals screwed in tightly, wheel bolts tight, chain in good working order-on giraffes. Use the checklist!
- check gear needed and uniform requirements for that event (always bring your cold weather gear just in case- you may need it!).
- check arrival time so you will be on time- parades don’t wait.
- UPON ARRIVAL to the parade/event, CHECK IN with a COACH!
- Stay with the group at all times and IF you need to go anywhere, talk with a coach!
**AFTER a parade has completed and you meet up with the WOW group, YOU, as parent/guardian or a designated adult (18+) you have listed on the consent form during registration (if you need to edit this during the year- Email Mandy ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org), MUST CHECK OUT with one of the coaches present BEFORE LEAVING WITH YOUR CHILD!
We will not allow any member to walk off to find you nor leave with another members family without prior consent from YOU. They stay with us UNTIL we see you!