Directly AFTER a Parade or Performance- ReUniting with your child can be challenging- especially when police will not allow you down the streets around us! Here are some helpful hints of things we’ve learned over the years which will help ReUnite you with your child AFTER a Parade or Event:
BEFORE parade day, check out our TeamSnap for messages- there is often important info that will give you a better idea of where we will end the parade- often linking a map of the area! Look for an alternate way you can meet up with us. If the parade is still going on, you won’t be able to take the most direct route!
IF we need to CANCEL a parade or event (Eric makes that final decision), usually due to weather (we will not ride outside if it rains or is too icy) and usually within 2 hours of the scheduled event- an ALERT notice will go out on TeamSnap for the event.
● Talk about it w/your child so they know what’s happening with you and where you will be after the event ends.
● WRITE your cell phone number in their helmet using a waterproof sharpie pen (preferably UNDER a PAD)- and show them where it is! Sounds simple but it can REALLY save time! Also, in an emergency, we can easily access you by phone.
● WRITE the WOW members name (using a waterproof sharpie pen) ON BACK (small) and IN the helmet- our white helmets are all the same and can easily get lost or picked up by another member accidentally.
● If the WOW member does not have a cell phone, consider giving them a 2-way radio set to the same frequency. When finished, they can contact you and explain where we are. Most radios have a 2 mile radius which is our typical parade route distance.
ON parade day:
- review the current weather- don’t forget the SUNCREEN & WATER!
- CHECK YOUR UNICYCLE- tire pressure (about 40 lbs), pedals screwed in tightly, wheel bolts tight, chain in good working order-on giraffes. Use this checklist!
- check gear needed and uniform requirements for that event (always bring your cold weather gear just in case- you may need it and dress in layers).
- check arrival time so you will be on time- parades don’t wait.
- UPON ARRIVAL to the event, CHECK IN with a COACH present!
- Stay with the group at all times and IF you need to go anywhere, talk with a coach!
**AFTER an event has completed and you as a parent meet up with the WOW group, YOU, as parent/guardian or a designated adult (18+) you have listed on the consent form during registration MUST CHECK OUT with one of the COACHES present BEFORE LEAVING WITH YOUR CHILD! We always check for everyone to be accounted for before departing ourselves and could result in costly time being wasted.
(if you need to edit your consent form during the year- Email Mandy ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Safety is our priority and we will NOT allow any member to walk off to find you nor leave with another members family without prior consent in writing from YOU. WOW members stay with us UNTIL you check them out with a COACH!